…This probably won’t surprise a lot of folks to hear but RPGs–short for Role Playing Games–are and always will be my absolute favorte video game genre. This also may not surprise a lot of people to hear but about 15 years ago, I had the crazy idea of making one of my novels into a video game using the RPG Maker computer program. I didn’t get very far and couldn’t even put together a working demo but I still have the files from back then on one of my external hard drives.
In recent years, we’ve seen the rise in popularity of a certain sub genre in Anime: Isekai. Isekai is Japanese for “Visitor From Another World”. This almost always involves someone from modern-day Japan crossing into a fantasy world though The Dragon Maid of Kobayashi and The Devil is a Part Timer are two examples of the reverse happening. The Rising of The Shield Hero and That Time I got Reincarnated As A Slime are two well known examples of the norm on that note. Sometimes RPG mechanics or tropes are used and sometimes they’re not. We’ve also seen the likes of MEGA popular Webcomics like Hardcore Leveling Warrior (second picture above), The Gamer (first picture above) and Advanced Tutorial Player.
On that note, my third Serene Adventure story Starry Heavens was the one that I planned to turn into a video game using RPG Maker about 14 years ago. I planned to write the story and design the game at the same time but after a while, I decided to just focus on writing the story first for obvious reasons. I actually still have an RPG-style character roster in a text file that I use for all the main and supporting characters of the Serene Adventure stories. I now use it to keep track of the various abilities and skills of all those characters. Don’t worry, I already said I would make a special section for that. It will just be a matter for me to decide how much of what I want to publicly share.
Getting back on topic, I do have some stories planned that will have RPG or RPG-like mechanics woven into them. Here’s a few story ideas that I have in mind but don’t take them as planned stories just yet. Maybe.
- My Life In Another World: Karla Sarcozi works as the manager of Whirlwind, a popular French Pub in Oklahoma City. One day after downloading a strange new App to her smartphone, she wanders into another world. This other world called Entrea is a world unlike ours filled with monsters, dungeons, magic and…a status screen? It doesn’t take Karla very long to figure out the strange app on her phone is connected to Entrea. Who made the App? Why was Entrea opened to her? Just how powerful will she become in that world? Would anyone in her world believe her if she told them? Most importantly: Why is that world’s dark lord helping her get stronger?
- Modern Day Overlord: 16 year old Judas B. Lucien is one of the most popular kids in his high school. Friends, good grades, athletic skills and charisma. Despite all that, he holds an amazing secret: He’s the Crown Prince of Gallows, a kingdom in another world that was conquered by Champions of Justice five years earlier. Just before Gallows fell, his parents sent him along with some trusted subjects to look after him on Earth with the hope that their enemies would never find him. It’s now 2014 and five years have passed. His peaceful life as an ordinary teenager is shattered when one of the champions tracks him down and he’s forced to reveal his true identity in front of his friends. After learning his parents may still be alive, Judas decides to return to his own world but this time he’s not alone. Will he and his friends from Earth be able to rebuild his fallen kingdom or is Gallows going to remain lost to history?
- Modern Day Overlord II: Campaign Mode: Eight years have passed since Crown Prince Judas B. Lucien and his friends succeeded in restoring the lost Kingdom of Gallows, which exists in a parellel world. In the eight years that followed, Judas’ parents gave him leave to continue living on Earth while also acting as the kingdom’s official ambassador to the UN. With Earth currently upended by a Global Pandemic, Political Unrest and a conflict in Eastern Europe, Judas returns home to find out while he was away, Gallows has been getting attacked by neighboring kingdoms. With the military tied up playing defense, Judas decides to assemble and allies of his own to punish those who threaten his homeland. It won’t be easy but it will be fun!
- Our Secondborn Child will Save the World?!: Harold and Gracia Novis were once legendary Adventurers back in the day. After fighting in a massive war on opposite sides, the two fell in love, got married and settled down together. Soon after, they had a son they would name Eric. Although they became Innkeepers after retiring from their respective militaries, Harold or Gracia would sometimes be called upon by their homelands for a mission. One day while both of his parents are out on an errand, now 10 year old Eric Novis learns the truth about his parents’ past that they didn’t want him to know. To complicate things further, both of their kingdoms have just learned they have a child together and now they’ve been ordered to their homelands to have another child. Why? Because according to an old legend, their secondborn child will be the Hero needed to one day stop an approaching threat.
- Our Grandchild will Destroy the World?!: Ten years have passed since Harold and Gracia Novis’ second child Cassandra was born and two years have passed since Eric’s new wife Grima DeVille first entered their lives. It’s love at first sight and more so when it’s realized she is the lost princess of the fallen kingdom of Ruajin. The fallen kingdom, which openly practiced necromancy and other schools of taboo magick is said to have been betrayed from within and most of the royal family including its king were slaughtered. Grima, who foresook practicing magick from childhood was away when the kingdom fell almost overnight. Fearing for her safety, she fled for her life and that was how she met the Novis family two years ago. Now a beautiful young woman newly married to Eric Novis, Grima learns of an old legend from her homeland that notes every 100 years, a chosen member of the royal family is fated to give birth to a world-ending calamity. The birthmark on her left hand is proof that she has been chosen for this generation!
- Brothers of Light and Darkness: In every fantasy story, there is a Hero and there is a villain. How did things get like that? Every story has a beginning. This is the story twin brothers Lumis and Noctis. This is story of a hero and a villain whose legendary conflict would inspire countless stories for generations across all cultures. It’s now the early 21st Century. The days of myths and legends have given way to the dawn of the digital age. Most people now believe they are nothing more than the stuff of fairy tales. What happens when fantasy becomes reality?
- We Didn’t Want This Destiny: 20 years ago, four young strangers who live in four different parts of the world find themselves connected by one unique phenomenom: A pop-up window telling them they are now on The Heroes’ Journey, awakening them to new powers. A series of circumstances brings them together and separates the again. 16 years later, The Four as the world come to know them learn all they experienced was just the prelude to a world-threatening calamity.
- We Didn’t Want to Risk Our Lives: Sequel to We Didn’t Want This Destiny. Four years have passed since The Four came together and the First War Power has made itself known to the world. The Four emerge victorious but not without great cost to the world. The nations of the world demand answers for both the devastation and the cataustrophic loss of human life. One of The Four is hospitalized, another’s family is in danger and a third is suddenly made the leader of their country. The last remaining member of The Four must reunite their group before the Second War Power emerges and sweeps them all away. To do this, allies will need to be recruited by each member of The Four to help defend the world.
- We Didn’t Want to Die: Sequel to We Didn’t Want to Risk Our Lives. The Four have come together once more and just before the Second War Power makes its move. The Four and their companions rise to the challenge and push The Second War Power all the way back to their own world. It is here that certain hard truths about The Heroes’ Journey are revealed to them and a choice that will see all sentient life in one land or another extinguished must be made. The Fateful Choice that will save one world or the other stirs discord among The Four and more so knowing only they can make that choice. Time is running out and a choice that will end a world must be made.
I have no timelime for when I’ll write any of these but they will be coming. The last three will be one massive story that span three stories to say the least. Let’s just say I have a LOT of storyboarding to do to bring these concepts to fruition.
If you have enjoyed this post or other posts I have made on this blog, please consider making a monetary donation via PayPal. Whatever amount you can provide would be greatly appreciated.